Every Rose Has Its Thorn - RoseBlood by A.G. Howard

I hope I will be forgiven for the obvious pun-inspired title for this review of a Phantom of the Opera-inspired retelling, but I like to imagine I am not the first reader to smile at the thought. No major plot-spoilers will be used in this review, and I hope it inspires at least one reader to pick up RoseBlood by A.G. Howard and enter the fantasy.

I was fated to find the book, one brought to me via an OwlCrate subscription awhile back, and have found a writer who will fit beautifully next to my pieces by Gregory Maguire (specifically Mirror, Mirror). Research on Howard had me not surprised to find she had a series inspired by Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland (The Splintered series) as I felt several connections within this novel as well. The idea of white roses dripping with blood, nods at Through the Looking Glass, and the addition of the Ghost Kitty are just a few items that had me visualizing the web of connections.

Outside of the connections to other stories, the historical context Howard places in her work is what really brought the story to life for me. As she describes in the Author Notes at the end of the RoseBlood, she makes sure to address any inconsistencies that may occur. She goes on to detail these inconsistencies alongside what further research on Gaston Leroux and his novel Phantom of the Opera inspired her.

The story itself holds true to YA fiction, but Howard is able to portray the darkness of the history of her characters without being overtly graphic. When I first noticed this, I thought I would be disappointed, as if the author might be censoring her work. However, this was not the case. Howard is able to hold her own and I was able to visualize her story and watch it unravel, proving that authors do not have to detail the nitty-gritty for the wow-factor or shock. I say this not belittling other writers as I myself lean more towards graphic in nature, but as a praise of the Gothic-style Howard has brought back that has been absent in many modern YA fiction pieces.

With Howard utilizing both first and third person story-telling, the reader will also get Rune's story from two perspectives: the stage and behind the scenes. Following Rune's coming-of-age, in more ways than one, the reader will feel the next scene can be predicted, but, like the Phantom, Howard is always one step ahead of you.

Equally as heartbreaking as Leroux's story, the retelling/sequel will not disappoint you. The only way to figure out how the rose is bleeding (or more so, why) is to look inside. Similarly, the novel is styled with red font on white pages, waiting for you to look a little deeper.


Enjoyed this review or feel like a healthy debate? Share in the comments below! 

Aspiring novelist/story-teller? Let me help you out! I am always open to expanding my personal library and, writer to writer, understand how hard it can be to get your name out there.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pretty Green Ribbons and Campfire Stories - Her Body and Other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado

White Socks and Girls on Red Horses - Of Fire and Stars by Audrey Coulthurst